entriesaboutuni.'smisc.

Friday, February 24, 2012
CAA Leadership Award @ 4:43 PM

In 500 words or fewer (3,500 character limit), and based on the activities listed above, please answer all parts of the question below:
  • Describe the leadership role(s) you are most proud of that you held during high school.
  • Explain the most important outcome or positive change you caused directly while in that leadership role.
  • Describe how you motivated your peers to perform at their highest level in pursuit of a common goal.
Please be specific in your description. For example, include details about the number of people involved, your leadership process, the outcome/results, and so forth.

When it comes to the activities I did for myself, the research, the internships, and the conferences, I stand out more as a leader. Those accomplishments are much more "prestigious." However, it is the smaller leadership roles I played in being of help to others that I am most proud of and are the most meaningful.
Rotary International has a high school division called Interact Club, an international conglomerate of high school clubs which work together to achieve a common goal. I am the president of the one at my school, Valley Christian High School. Our school's chapter is one of the smaller ones, comprising of only 60 members, due to the fact that Valley Christian's student body is substantially smaller than those of the larger public schools in the area. However, our footprint is large despite our size. As president, it is my responsibility to contact with the other schools in the district in order to coordinate events such as charity concerts, benefit dinners, and other fundraisers. Our district dances of 2010 and 2011 had over 600 attendees each, and featured famous YouTube performers. All of our proceeds went directly to the global causes: End Polio Now and Shelterbox. We raised more than $70,000 each year. Our Rotarian governor recently also published a letter saying that we successfully ended polio in all parts of India. This year, our global project is reducing world hunger, and as the president of my school's chapter, it is my job to instill a sense of unity and excitement in my members to help participate in all of the events and fundraisers. But not only so, I plan intraclub events to increase camaraderie within the club so that we are always working together to achieve and succeed in our global project. As for leadership at a more personal level, after a summer of being an intern for the inpatient pharmacy at the Lucile Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford, I decided to stay longer and picked up a volunteer position in the recreation therapy department. Under a licensed supervisor, I run the Forever Young Zone (FYZ), where I help organize activities and crafts for the hospitalized children in groups of roughly thirty, to experience success, fun, and self-expression. The purpose is to diminish the foreign hospital environment. Particularly, there was an instance in which a new patient was first entering the FYZ. He was born visually impaired, and was hesitant to come inside due to fear. Some other children didn't understand what being visually impaired meant, so the boy explained. Together as a group, I and the some of the children went outside, where we sat down on a stone ledge. We closed our eyes and to the best of our ability, described what flowers looked like. The boy was smiling widely. My leadership process is not about awards or recognition. It's about intuitively knowing what those who look to me for guidance need, being able to sacrifice my own selfish desires for the greater good of others, and communicating effectively. That includes not just speaking, but also listening. I am a servant to the public first before I am a leader.