entriesaboutuni.'smisc.

Monday, December 26, 2011
Stanford Supplement: Rouen Inception (remix) @ 11:44 PM

Stanford students possess an intellectual vitality. Reflect on an idea or experience that has been important to your intellectual development.

v2.
Unlike Mum, Dad throws away everything. That is, everything apart from a collection of National Geographic magazines I stumbled upon in the garage over a decade ago. To say that it was a "collection" would have been glamorizing it. It was more like an unorganized mass of dusty old issues that somehow managed to stay in place on the swiveling chair, but to me, it was my secret treasure.
The first issue I had read was from the mid-eighties and had a picture of a skeleton-like young boy from Ethiopia on the cover. Though at such a young age I was unable to comprehend most of the articles, the different walks of life discovered, which contrasted with my pampered lifestyle, suddenly took me in a foray. The "collection" became mine over time. I read, I collected more, and yet still found myself consumed by an insatiable thirst for learning more about the world around me.
One summer, I visited the Musée d'Orsay in France and found myself face to face with Claude Monet's Rouen series, a set of depictions of the gothic cathedral at different times of day. The impressionist captured specific moments with such vague brush strokes; the different colors came together in what seemed to be organized chaos to form the precise image of the Rouen's facade.
The paintings reminded me of those National Geographic magazines I read when I was younger. How is it that I can be one person, yet experience and learn so much? I want to see the world at each different time of day, in each season, by means of the lens of academia. There would be no better place for me than university, a place whose purpose is to conglomerate scholars who come from a variety of different backgrounds. I am a composite of the places I have been to, reflected as dancing light onto my facade. I am my own Rouen Cathedral, as is everyone I have met and will meet. Through interaction with these other palettes, I aspire to become a display of so many colors of light that even Monet would have been jealous of.

.


v1:
In Paris, nothing would have pleased me more than staying inside all day and staring at walls. I wanted this over seeing the Eiffel Tower or shopping on the Champs Elysees.
I visited the Musée d'Orsay and found myself face to face with Claude Monet's Rouen series, a set of depictions of the gothic cathedral at different times of day. The impressionist captured specific moments with such vague brush strokes; the different colors came together in what seemed to be organized chaos to form the precise image of the Rouen Cathedral's facade. I could not take my eyes off the paintings, each of the same subject, yet at the same time, so different.
The paintings whetted my appetite for living and learning, being of a place with always changing surroundings. How is it that I can be one person, yet experience and learn so much? On some days, I travel with my family around the world. Through the eyes of a tourist, I learn about the culture and lives of those completely different from myself by seeing places of importance and sentimental value to these people. On other days, I am back in California, learning facts in an array of topics in school. Conversely, in the summer, when my academic life is on hiatus, I am with my friends, eating sushi or laughing at the beach, where I can find relaxation and release. Each change is one in the setting and light on my cathedral.
I want to see the world at each different time of day, in each season, by means of the lens of academia. There would be no better place for me than university, a place whose purpose is to conglomerate scholars who come from a variety of different backgrounds. I am a composite of the places I have been to, reflected as dancing light onto my facade. I am my own Rouen Cathedral, as is everyone I have met and will meet. Through interaction with these other palettes, I aspire to become a display of so many colors of light that even Monet would have been jealous of.