entriesaboutuni.'smisc.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011
Biological Fairy Tale - UC App #1 @ 12:30 AM

 Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or experience that is important to you. What about this quality or accomplishment makes you proud and how does it relate to the person you are?

I serenaded the toilet bowl with all of my heart, letting my love reverberate from the washroom walls. I was Snow White, singing into a wishing well whilst waiting for my prince to come. On cue, my father walked in with an amused expression and piggybacked three year old me away.

Like many other girls my age, I was fascinated by Disney's princesses. However, what made me different from the others was that while everyone dreamed of becoming a princess, I was one. Clearly, the singing into the "well" and the carrying off by my father were indisputable evidences of my princess-ship. I was always someone who, instead of waiting for what I wanted to come to me, would do everything in my power to make my dreams a reality.

By the time I reached adolescence, rather than being being intrigued by the princess herself, I was more concerned with the molecular composition of her poisoned apple and the genus and species of her animal friends. More than anything, I wanted to become a biological researcher. However, as I came to learn, the twists and turns involved in the preparation to becoming one unexpectedly bore very few differences from those of a fairytale.

The first page of the storybook opened as I, the princess, worked hard, peacefully during my first two years of high school. However, then, the idea of failure threatened me during my junior year. I became afraid, thinking that a happily ever after was too far for my reach. Because of this, I ran into a dark forest, becoming ensnared by one Advanced Placement course, one academic club, one sport, one extracurricular, one commitment after another. I tenaciously stretched myself so thin to the point that I ran myself into consistently sleepless nights and weak health, all for the sake of ensuring that I could accomplish my goal of being a researcher. However, as every princess does, I snapped. Collapsed, due to the fear's poison which had penetrated my body and made my mind weak. But this was not the end. Using the the last of my dreams' fire within me, I stood, and I staggered to my seven kind teachers who nurtured me back to health and set me straight; the threat of failure was only for people who didn't care to chase after their dreams --people unlike myself.

I never would have expected that in only one year, I would be where I am now. I am one of six student researchers in my school, and am studying and conducting experiments regarding the development of esophageal cancer. Fear of failure, or the wicked queen, if you will, is nowhere to be seen. Though I am realistic and goal oriented, I possess a childlike determination that allows me the opportunity to live out my goals. If ever my enemy decides to rear its ugly head again, I will tell it , "I am a princess, a heroine; despite any hardship, I will never disbelieve in the beauty of my dreams."

504 words.